8.31.2011

I have survived the rains just to be back home, be with my family, attend this Battle and wear my SPECIAL SHIRT with such Sweet STORIES of SHOWMANSHIP, SERVITUDE and SURVIVAL.

I am a very casual person; I can go out for work with my hair wet and uncombed. If only I can wear T-shirts on conferences, meetings and social gatherings... I surely could’ve done so. But yeah, my T-shirts are reserved for the rugged field works as an Engineer and usual night classes in Grad School and perhaps for opting to bring my daughter to her kindergarten class instead of going to office one random week day morning.

I love T-shirts! I have a plethora of reasons for loving to own and wear my every single piece of shirt.

  1.  I love the fabric. It is so comfortable.
  2.  I love the cut. Makes me hide my baby fats while augmenting my flats!
  3.  I love the print statement. Makes me want to look back. Like the FRONT: “Matalino Noon” BACK: “Lalo na ngayon!”
  4.  I love the one who has been so thoughtful to give me a shirt. Like some souvenir shirt that says “SOMEONE WHO LOVES ME SO MUCH, WENT TO *** AND BOUGHT ME THIS SHIRT.” Note: ***Think of any tourist spot you can think of here and abroad!
  5.  Lastly, I love a single piece of shirt for a WONDERFUL STORY THIS SHIRT CAN EVER TELL!

Now this particular T-shirt is my FAVORITE SHIRT for its Sweet STORIES of SHOWMANSHIP, SERVITUDE and SURVIVAL.

I wore this shirt one rainy evening of September 2009 for our church’ first ever “Muzik Di Kalaban”- The Battle of the Christian Bands.

Sweet story of SHOWMANSHIP of my special SHIRT

It’s the first time of our church to host a major event and it’s an honour for me to be up on stage to host this BATTLE. It’s a Battle six-months-in-the-making... A Battle for His Kind of Music, a Battle for His Kind of Band... and a Battle All for God’s Glory.

While wearing this shirt up stage I feel so blessed. I am blessed to be part of my GLHC Church FAMILY. I am blessed to be part of the Battle . I am blessed to be a CHRISTIAN.

Please take time to watch this video to see what happened that night... The Battle for a Cause- His Kind of Music, His Kind of Band, All for His Glory! (I'm the one wearing a cap holding the microphone and script for I have been the EMCEE for the night.Yay!)




Sweet story of SERVITUDE of my special SHIRT

While the major cause for this event is to reach out the youth of our community through music, it has also been a channel for us to raise some funds for our yet to build worship place which we coined as “THE LANDMARK OF GREATNESS”.

Wearing this shirt gave me a step into an ERA OF GREATNESS.

"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." - Mark 9:45

It’s through putting ourselves last and serving others that we become great.

If there’s one thing I am more than proud of wearing this shirt, it’s because I get to wear it along with the people that I look up to. The people who has the heart for serving others, the people to whom I learned and I witnessed the meaning of SERVITUDE.


Sis Veni- A business analyst and a seven-month-pregnant mom who cares to attend late night weekend music team practice at church to extend help to others instead of taking some rest at home amidst her busy week and current pregnant situation.
                                                         

Sis Jo- a full time mom who cares to cook for our snacks at church during music team practice and for every church event or outreach program. She is the ultimate rider with her motorcycle when it comes to paying bills, processing documents and even food deliveries for the church. If there’s a most serviceable award she’d surely be the recepient. 



Sis Jolleen - an accountancy student who cares to be trained for handling the church' finances in the future. She also shares her talents in music, teaches the Sunday School kids with their performance and is the youth leader of the church. She disregards taking the 20km travel from home to church or from school to church and dedicates her remaining free time just to serve God and others as well.



Sis Marife – a pre-school teacher, a Sunday school teacher for life and a mentor for young people. Her students have far been successful here and abroad. She’s the first “teacher “my kids have ever called. She even forgot to find herself a partner in life because of her dedication to teaching. Her service to the young generation is never tiring... indeed one of the unsung heroes of our generation.



Sis Bing and Bro Nesty – Bro Nesty is a driver who never gets tired and still manage to preach during Sunday Mass. Sis Bing is his ever faithful wife who’s been a mom to every young people. This couple has always extended help to our family and even to others as well. We were never even relatives but we surely did count on them since I and my husband were just young people before until now that we are already married. They never failed to bring extra rice for us during “Agape” service.



Perci – my husband won’t surely miss my list. He designed this T-shirt. He is the church’ 3D artist, motion  graphic designer and music director. Amidst his busy 6-day work week in the office, he can never dare to miss the Saturday music team practice as well as after-service events on Sundays and even holidays. He has amazingly managed to balance his remaining free time between the church activities and our kids. He is my one husband I will forever be proud of. I learned the value of serving others without neglecting your own family through him. He is my moral compass.


All these GREAT people I am so blessed to meet in my life. The people who cared to show service to others without expecting or asking anything in return. I am proud I wore the same shirt with them one rainy night of September 2009.

Sweet story of SURVIVAL of my special SHIRT


                                                                                                                                                    *Thanks Joy Cabral for this photo 

The night I wore this shirt for a BATTLE was one rainy night of September 2009 (see time stamp on the photo above). Yeah it was September 25, 2009, the night before the dreaded Ondoy. It was already raining when I am in Masbate for a 12-day field work and also while taking my 12 straight hours of land travel from Sorsogon to Manila just in time for this event. I could’ve missed the RO-RO from Masbate to Sorsogon or stopped anywhere along Bicol Region due to heavy rains... but yeah- there’s no stopping us to making this event happen. I have survived the rains just to be back home, be with my family, attend this Battle and wear my Special SHIRT with such Sweet STORIES of SHOWMANSHIP, SERVITUDE and SURVIVAL.

                                                                                                                                                                         *images from the web
Now for leaving the 9.3M people affected severely and 300,000 people homeless during that dreaded Ondoy, the spirit of volunteerism has once more been so alive. We see relief operations here and there. More and more people and organizations are reaching out to others in dire need of help. I know I can only do so much. My current thesis is on the proposed rehabilitation of the Marikina Watershed to prevent widespread flooding such as that of Ondoy and Pepeng... and recently Mina. A single volunteer advocacy, a single awareness campaign or a single research won’t solve the entire problem of flooding, homelessness, hunger or poverty in the country but it surely can do so much!

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve."
-Albert Schweitzer

I have survived the rains just to be back home, be with my family, attend this Battle and wear my SPECIAL SHIRT with such Sweet STORIES of SHOWMANSHIP, SERVITUDE and SURVIVAL.

“I love this shirt! Now I want someone else to love it too! I support the Electrolux Wash-athon Clothes Donation Advocacy.”
Best Blogger Tips
  • Stumble This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Share On Reddit
  • Fave On Technorati
  • Buzz This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Digg This Post
  • Share On Facebook
Blog Gadgets

42 comments:

  1. Ate Mel it was so nice for you to still have time for church activities while being a working mom, a student and blogger too. I have always admired your family po. God bless you always.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Marose. Being able to help in a community through our church is our way of giving thanks to all the blessing that we get to receive. And there's this feeling of satisfaction that we have when we get to help others in need. Thanks for dropping by my post too.(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filipinos are resilient, friendly, and very hospitable. We also go out of our way to help even with the little that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Anonymous and lakwatsa, indeed God has blessed us and our country in spite of all these calamities and disasters that we get to come across lately. We are so blessed to survive the rains and have another day to be a blessing to others too.(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like the some.. STILL that when Oceans Rise and Thunders Roar, if we all hold on in prayer and help one another, success will follow. Congrats ate Melai! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what Kuya Chris, that song was actually part of the lineup for the Sunday right after Ondoy(Sept.27)... I remember my tear dropped during that part... and what's good is that, I also remember that the welcome song was ... Happy Day ..."It's a Happy Day, And I thank God for the weather, It's a Happy Day,And I'm living it all for my Lord".. that heaped up my heart... I know there's sunshine after the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  7. THERE IS A LIGHT THAT SHINES BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hillsong United, first off I want to say that you do bear a good name(^_^). I have always loved Hillsong albums... and yeah truly there is a light that shines brighter than the sun, nothing can shine brighter and more powerful than the one who CREATED the heavens and the earth.. We Will be STILL and know that HE is the kind over the flood... know that he is GOD indeed. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HE is the *KING over the flood...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."others easily give up because they think they've given so much while others are giving more extra effort just to get what they really wanted.Glad that you've made it through that catastrophe.hope I've had the will power and determination you possessed for me to overcome the rain I'm going through...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post young lady. I'm from Makati, I also have some shirts to donate for the wash-athon, how may I be able to reach them and Good luck to your advocacies, your have far way to go. Will reach you through your mail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To all who might just be as interested as Ms. Cecil, here's how you can donate your clothes for a cause... you get a free bear hug in
    return...

    http://melabuel.blogspot.com/2011/09/electrolux-wash-athon-clothes-donation.html

    So start being a blessing to others now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for getting back at me mel. God bless you more

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms.MEL, you have one inspiring story to tell. Thanks for inviting me to read your post. Really love it. Wish you and your church the best always

    ReplyDelete
  15. another inspiring story from you. continue shining your own light , your own special way. Remember someone is looking in between his fish-eye lens from Above!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! i've been a bit busy this week that i never really got time to respond.. anyways Ms. Cecil, received your mail. Thanks for the heads up! I gain a bit of confidence and push to make our causes really push through... never would've succeeded without kind-hearted persons like you. I'm looking forward to meeting you one of these days po.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Ms. Jed, thanks for your support, hopefully someday you can visit our church too. Our battle to greatness will be unending TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is such an inspiring story + you've shared a lot of wonderful memories with your shirt. hoping its next owner will add more to that memory bank :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Ms. Vix. the next owners of our shirts are just as blessed. We hope to inspire others through our blogging and giving... more power to you and your family! God bless(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ate you're one true servant of God. You inspire us a lot. We along with the youth really look up to you. God bless you. And sayang po yung shirt, akin na lang:). Blessing din po yan sa bagong owner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! pareho pala tayo ng experience sa ating favorite shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Salamat sa pagbisita Sir Richard (aka astig316)hehe... at syempre naman di natin basta nalang makakalimutan ang terror ng Ondoy, lalo pa't malapit na 'to mag 2nd anniversary. We just hope and pray our country will be spared with these kind of disasters. But I also believe that the more we are pressed with such struggles, the more we shine as Filipinos...being warm and hospitable, strong and still fighting in the midst of our challenges in lfe...

    ReplyDelete
  23. and gellyn salamat din. you're also an inspiration to your fellow youth. Just offer all your talents to Him and he will surely reward you back. all the best. Salamat ng marami(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also like your shirt :) It's color Green kasi and that is my fave color :) I like the message: “Matalino Noon” “Lalo na ngayon!” kakaaliw!!!

    Good luck in this contest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. haha... promise natawa talga ako sa Matalino Noon shirt na yun nung una kong nakita, napilitan akong tumingin pabalik dun sa nakasalubong ko...Lalo nakong napangiti nung nakita ko ung Lalo na Ngayon...hahah.. it's because of the Angst of the statement perhaps..

    And thanks for liking the shirt. it's our church motif ever since, kasi it's named Glean the Lord's Harvest kaya parang magsasaka ang color, green...I'm glad to know it's your favorite color too.

    thanks for wishing me luck. same with yours too! God bless and sana mag-meet ang mga kids natin soon(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Mel,

    That's a very inspiring story.. that day was very memorable to us too.. since we were badly affected by Ondoy..

    I am pretty sure that whoever gets your shirt will feel the sweet story of your survival.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Pehpot. I know there are also lots of stories of sacrifice and survival along with the atrocious memory of Ondoy and Pepeng, we are just as proud we survived that day... and hope that kind of experience won't hit us back again. We are one strong nation, full of survivors!

    The next owner of your shirt will be equally blessed too(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Reading stories about the Undoy makes me sad, and I guess donating the shirt would already make you a winner. :) God Bless, and please continue the good work and inspire more people :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Thanks for dropping by Ms. Ruthlicious.. first-off I want to say I love your blog and I love your shirt too!

    We are made winners made by every successful attempt to make this world a lovely place to live in. Continue inspiring others through your posts. You are but a SPECIAL CREATION!

    Maraming salamat sa pagbisita(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  30. you've got good bless story. Live up to that. Very well shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. this shirt will be blessing its new owner. I have always wanted to help in anyway I can. Thanks for your heartwarming comment. God bless you too(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  32. impressive story. You've been in a long trip and juggled the typhoon just to do your part in your community. You are one brave soul. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. encountered this post from The Little White Book page. I think you deserve to win. I'll go for your entry. Selamat Meju Jaya!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Indira and danet,you are so nice to leave a comment here,thanks! I really believe that servanthood is a virtue that everyone should exude so that we maybe able to move forward no matter how hard the struggle to cross our way. Many thanks and god bless..salamat sayo!(that's thank you in Filipino..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. and who did the video? It was great. Your church is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hahaay bumalik ako! Oo nga te mel, ang ganda naman ng video ng event nyo. Saka for a good cause pa. I also hope to have time to do such things for my community. idol!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your inspiring story. It's amazing how you and perci can juggle everything. I know God will bless you more :) Good luck Mhel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Haay Ellen, Perci is a God-given gift to me... he never failed to amaze me how MARRIED LIFE could just be so engaging and promising and lovely... I can't ask for more. Salamat sa suporta! I know you're equally blessed with Vince and Yana and Ysha and Ysa... I admire you for your being one tough mom... god bless you more!

    ReplyDelete
  39. to Marose and Sis Mila, salamat for frequenting my post.It's my husband perci who did the video... and thanks for pronouncing blessing to the church.. we can always be of big help to our community in our special way.Always be a blessing! Thanks again!(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  40. honey your have given justice to the wonderful story of our special shirt. Good job! love you...

    ReplyDelete